2 replies to this topic

#1 asv1988

asv1988

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

hey guys,

I am new to this forum and actually new to android.

I am planning to get samsung galaxy s3 and need your help.

Firstly, I was wondering about warranty. Once I get the device is the warranty handled through carrier or directly samsung? I used to have a blackberry and warranty was handled strictly though carriers. I had a problem, I got blackberry from rogers, unlocked and used it on fido, so when I needed warranty repair/replacement I couldn't because rogers told me that the device wasn't registered on their network and fido could not send it for repairs/replacement because they didn't have that model for sale. It was so stupid. So i was wondering if I get the phone from rogers/bell/telus and use it on different network how would the warranty work? Or if i get it from pacific mall (place where chinese sell electronics) how the warranty will work? Also, what's the implication of warranty if I get the international version?

Secondly, is it difficult to unlock the device? Is it like unlocking Iphone(jailbreak->unlock->no update or lose unlock) or is it like blackberry (input code->unlocked forever)?

Thanks guys in advance

#2 RobNazarian

RobNazarian

Staff

• Administrators
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Warranties are done by the carriers in the U.S., where do you live? Note, you only get a one year warranty, but the carriers force you to sign a 2-year contract so in a sense you are screwed for the second year unless you play approximately $6 per month for additional coverage. Not cheap, plus there's usually a deductible of around $80 or so. On the flip side it covers accidental damage that wouldn't be covered by a warranty like getting it wet.

As to unlocking, there are so many tutorials out there so it won't be hard. I'm not familiar with iPhone or BlackBerry, but I believe the methods are different.

#3 jimmy_dan

jimmy_dan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Regarding unlock if the tutorials are not helpful... I think you can check with Mobile-Unlocker who provides unlocking for your Samsung mobile and almost all android mobiles.... They provide unlocking service for most of the GSM networks... good luck.. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warranty, galaxy s3, samsung